Saturday, July 31, 2010
Traditional American tattoo parlors are fascinating places where artists work and mingle with the public in an atmosphere of creative frenetic energy in private and semi-private cubicles, with loud music and activity going on at all hours. Tattoo artists hold a unique position in our culture as one of the only groups of contemporary artists who work under the public eye in studios that get a lot of traffic. The tattoo studio can be seen as an ongoing living performance piece where tradition, art, therapy, psychology, fashion, medicine and commerce mingle.
Inspired by that idea, this exhibition will consist of my 10’x15’ studio being moved to Paia Tattoo Parlor for the duration of the exhibition, while I will work on yet to be determined new projects involving woodcut printing, photography, and other media. Working tables, portable walls, print drying boards, computer, art, books, a refrigerator, desk, chairs, sound system, and all the ephemera associated with the working studio will be set up, creating a four-week installation/performance/exhibition of new and ongoing works in progress.
All work will be created during the four weeks of the exhibition, therefore the traditional exhibition opening will be made superfluous—we will have an exhibition closing, Saturday, August 21, when the public will be invited to come and see what went on for four weeks. There may be a new body of interesting work if it goes well, or there might just be a mess—the culmination of four weeks of trying to come up with an idea.
Throughout the exhibition, daily work will be going on behind a shoji screen partition--at times opened up when the public will be allowed and encouraged to come and see how an artist lives and works in his studio, at other times closed off so that only the apparition of a working artist is seen, with the muffled sounds audible.
Daily updates--writings, photos and videos will be posted on this blog. Please check back and stay in touch!
via Work In(g)Studio Blog
UK DMC Champion JFB testing out the scratch performance on the Denon DN-S3700 media players. 9 inch direct drive platters with high torque and real vinyl response...
I'm thoroughly impressed. Oi!
Friday, July 30, 2010
Here’s a good treat to get your weekend going right, a brand new mixtape (or is it a covers album?) by Brooklyn duo Telephoned. Telephoned consists of vocalist and our old pal Maggie Horn and Sammy Bananas handling all the production. The duo got their by redoing T-Pain’s “Can’t Believe It.” into their own abstarct club thumping monstrosity. The track proved super popular and the two kept working together eventually releasing their self-titled debut EP on Fool’s Gold earlier this year.
Well the two are back at it again with this fresh new release destined to be in heavy rotation for weeks to come. Keep Them Heads Ringing serves as a great starting point to not only what original tracks Maggie and Sammy are currently working on, but also a heaping spoonful of what’s becoming their trademark “not-quite-cover” songs.
Download: Telephoned- Keep Them Heads Ringin'
via Mishka Blogin
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Monday, July 26, 2010
Friday, July 23, 2010
London-based DJ and graphic designer Alex Newman (aka DJ Al Fingers) was approached by clothing label Stüssy to produce a mix CD back in 2008.
Two years later the mix CD is ready and it features 56 tracks from UK reggae and dancehall label Greensleeves' back catalogue – but the project has grown in that time to include a book that Newman has put together on the record label's history and which showcases the first 100 record sleeves released by the label (including gems such as Scientist Wins The World Cup, 1982, shown above). The project also includes a range of limited edition T-shirts and pin badges for Stüssy that display elements of some of the record sleeves included in the book...
Read on and view more picture at Creative Review.
So very happy to say that Kid Sister has a new video, that dropped today! Even more happy it's for my favorite song, off Ultraviolet, "Big N Bad"! And you know we had to rock the violet youtube frame.
It was also announced today, via Fool's Gold Records, that her song "Daydreaming" has been selected for a Bud Light Lime ad campaign starting this month and running through 2011.
BIG THINGS, MEL! GO GET 'EM!
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
L-R Ian Kuali'i, Favianna Rodriguez, Orlando Reyes
July 23: Discuss and critique your porfolio of artwork with founding director of the critically-acclaimed 58 Gallery, painter, curator and arts entrepreneur, Orlando Reyes at The Hui!
August 6th - September 16th: Maui's The Hui No'eau, Oakland's Favianna Rodriguez and Jersey City's Orlando Reyes will present “The Politics of Paper/ Many Stories, Many Voices,”- a case study about how artists can collaborate with non-arts community groups to develop messages around social justice.
A high-impact mix of tech-house, techno, house and Baltimore club
1. Steve Starks - Witness (DJ Ayres remix) - T&A Records
2. Nadastrom - Inner Midget - T&A Records
3. Rampage & Nader - Gave You Love (Starks & Nacey remix) - T&A Records
4. Rob Threezy - Round House (Tittsworth remix) - T&A Records
5. Dave Nada - Drummer's Rock - T&A Records
6. Nacey - Work For This (Gavin Holland remix) - T&A Records
7. Rob Threezy - The Chase (Top Billin remix) - T&A Records
8. Rampage & Nader - Get Up - T&A Records
9. Tittsworth - Tear The Club Up (Bird Peterson remix) - T&A Records
10. Dave Nada - Where Brooklyn At - T&A Records
11. DJ Sega - Everybody Hands Up - T&A Records
12. Jim Sharp - Champion Junglist Sound - T&A Records
13. DJ Ayres - Move On Up - T&A Records
14. A-Trak - Sir Duke - T&A Records
15. DJ Ayres - It's Just Begun - T&A Records
16. Eli Escobar - Papa - T&A Records
17. DJ Technics - What Not What - T&A Records
18. DJ Tameil - Bump Like This - T&A Records
19. DJ Ayres - La Da Dee - T&A Records
20. Rampage & Nader - Get Funky - T&A Records
21. Rob Threezy - Your Love - T&A Records
22. Top Billin - In The Ass - T&A Records
23. Dave Nada - Apocalypse Theme - T&A Records
24. Steve Starks - Git 'Em (Dillon Francis remix) - T&A Records
Download: DJ Ayres - Plasmodium Radio 43
01. LMFAO “Introduction”
02. Drake “Find Yuh Love”
03. Gyptian “Hold Yuh (Major Lazer Remix)”
04. Donnis & Benzi “Shawwty”
05. T-Pain “Kiss Her (Discotech Remix)”
06. Mike Posner “Cooler Than Me”
07. Ian Carey “Get Shakey”
08. Empire Of The Sun “Walking On A Sweet Dream”
09. Hyper Crush & Diplo “Ayo”
10. Wynter Gordon “Dirty Talk”
11. Far East Movement & Dev “Like A G6”
12. La Roux “Bulletproof (Danny Diggz Remix)”
13. Taio Cruz “Dynamite”
14. Kid Cudi “Pursuit Of Happiness (Aoki Remix)”
15. 3Oh!3 & Kesha “First Kiss (Skeet Skeet Remix)”
16. Swedish House Mafia & Pharrell “One”
17. Ciara & The-Dream “Ride (DStar Remix)”
18. Vampire Weekend “Ottoman (Slink Remix)”
19. The Fugees “Ready Or Not (Punish Remix)”
20. Outkast “Rosa Parks (Prince Klassen Remix)”
21. Lucy Pearl “Dance Tonight (Top Billin Remix)”
22. Aloe Blacc “I Need A Dollar Remix”
23. Buraka Som Sistema “Buffalo Stance”
24. Rusko “Hold On (Tom Stephan Remix)”
25. La Roux “I’m Not Your Toy”
26. Medina “You & I (D-Star Funky Edit)”
27. Telephoned “Took The Night”
28. Dennis Ferrer “Hey Hey”
29. Duck Sauce “Barbra Streisand”
30. Cypress Hill & Pitbull “Armada Latina”
31. Travie McCoy & LMFAO “Billionaire (Party Rock Remix)”
32. Drake & Swizz Beatz “Fancy”
33. Chiddy Bang “Opposite Of Adults”
34. Big Boi “Shutterbug”
35. Ellie Goulding “Under The Sheets (Chiddy Bang Remix)”
36. Mike Posner “Drug Dealer Girl (Rock-It Scientists Remix)”
37. Drake & Alicia Keys “Fireworks (Tom Wrecks Remix)”
38. M.I.A. & Jay-Z “XXXO Remix”
39. Mike Posner & Big Sean “Speed Of Sound (Xaphoon Jones Remix)”
40. Olive “Your’e Not Alone (TLGB Remix)”
41. R-Kelly “Ignition (Hood Internet Remix)”
42. Katy B “On A Mission”
43. Magnetic Man “I Need Air”
44. Daniel Bedingfield “Gotta Get Thru This”
45. Kingdom “You”
46. Sonique “Feels So Good”
47. Kid Cudi “Cudi Zone (Benzi & Diggz Edit)”
48. Big Sean “Bullshittin (Benzi x DStar x Xaphoon Jones Remix)”
49. Chris Brown & Tyga “Dueces”
50. LMFAO “Outroduction”
Download: Get Right Radio Summer 2010
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Earlier today my Grandmother lost her life. She played a big part in making me who I am today. Although she's not on this earth anymore, she will always be in my heart. I will always have a bit of her with me. In March I spent all of the money I had been saving for a new camera on a ticket to Florida instead. Her health had taken a bad turn. These are the last images I shot of her. Today, after hearing the news of her passing, I received my new camera in the mail. It's name will be Lily.
Rest In Peace Lily Levine
Rest In Peace Lily Levine
Monday, July 12, 2010
Diplo and the lovely folks at Pitchfork are letting the world preview the new Mad Decent documentary Favela On Blast- this week only! This feature length documentary takes you through the history of Brazil's hip hop/dance music scene,Baile Funk, and how it came to be.
Last year I had the pleasure of watching a premiere showing in Honolulu, at Next Door, while sitting with Diplo. It was nice watching him getting hyped about certain scenes and point out cool tidbits. He then went on, smashed the set and played a couple of baile funk requests I had.
Brand new (and NSFW)video from Skream! The story line is definitely not what I expected, given the song title.
Friday, July 9, 2010
Yesterday Team Facelift's own Fat Jew stole a joke from me (via BBM) for his own twitter. Today he wrote me back, saying "I'm shooting a movie and have no time to tweet, so I'm jacking your goods you beautiful man" to make up for it. After we hugged it out, I decided to take a peek at this project he's been working on. I thought I'd share the trailer (and that story) with you.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Monday, July 5, 2010
New podcast up now and available for download!!! Featuring Booka Shade, Tiga, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem, Scissor Sisters, Dirty South & Rudy, The Temper Trap, Miike Snow and Bob Sinclar. Subscribe, download, share and enjoy!!! -Kurt Jo - Podomatic
"hey all you el duderinos out there, do you love the big lebowski? but have always felt there was a little something missing from the original Coen brothers cult masterpiece? was that something hardcore anal fucking? yes? well, as luck would have it New Sensations and director Lee Roy Myers have given birth to your abomination of a sick, twisted fantasy and turned The Big Lebowski into a hardcore porno movie.
i make a cameo in the film as the Jesus’ (played by James Deen) bowling partner Liam.
i was supposed to get fucked in this movie, but sadly, something came up… and that something was that i had gonorrhea that day. i know you are going to read that and wonder if that’s a joke or not… i’ll never tell
this movie is fucking awesome and i suggest you buy it.
specifically from me…"
via Dana DeArmond