Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Fat Beats Closes
Photo by SteelBorn
The news of Fat Beats closing hits pretty close to home. We are record store employees and junkies. We love this life. Slightly unnerving to see that big of a company fold its locations. I'll never forget my first trip to Fat Beats NY. I was intimidated and overwhelmed. I copped a Beasties' LP.
Fat Beats, you will be missed.
Los Angeles Times: Fat Beats to close its remaining Los Angeles and New York locations
For hip-hop heads of legal drinking age, the name Fat Beats inevitably conjures memories of teenage years spent trawling through racks of vinyl, in-store appearances with the latest underground stars (during a period when "underground" didn't require scare quotes) and encyclopedic employees often pulled from the top ranks of the Los Angeles DJ scene.
And now, the iconic hip-hop retailer will close its last two remaining brick-and-mortar locations in New York and Los Angeles -- another apparent casualty to ever-dwindling record sales and interest in vinyl among hip-hop consumers. The closures reflect the final act of contraction for a chain that had previous shuttered its locations in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Tokyo.
Read the full article on LAtimes.com
- Art on Maui- Cabinet of Curiosities
- DJ AM Anniversary
- Ian Walsh Menehune Mayhem Recap
- How To Dance
- Chromeo Can Do (Well) With Daryl Hall
- Work (In)g Studio Closing Party
- Cee-Lo Green Single: Fuck You
- Go Topless Day
- Fat Beats Closes
- Japan Is Awesome: Reason # 3,274
- P- Rod x Nas x Nike SB
- M.I.A.- XXXO Official Video
- Brooklyn Museum: Shout (Out) Brooklyn
- Maluca - China Food Mixtape FREE
- One Kine Day Trailer
- Mos Def Live In Maui
- Wailuku Heights Blaze
- Wale - More About Nothing Mixtape
- I'm Tuuuurfin in the Rain
- My Visit To Work In(g) Studio
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2009 (169)